In exploring the NREPP registry last week, you may have noticed that the evidence-based interventions are rated on the basis of readiness for dissemination. A highly rated evidence-based practice is one that social workers can successfully implement in practice. Many social workers attempt to implement an evidence-based practice that seems to be strongly supported by research, only to become frustrated or confused when their efforts do not yield the same positive results as the research. This discrepancy can occur because they failed to recognize the differences between conditions in their practice environment and the conditions of the study. Moreover, they may have failed to consider and adequately plan for issues that arise during implementation.
To prepare for this Assignment, using one of the evidence-based registries from the resources, identify an evidence-based practice that may be applicable to your field of practice. Review two research articles demonstrating the effectiveness of the evidence-based practice. Note any similarities or differences between the conditions in which the evidence-based practice was implemented in the study and the conditions in which you plan to implement it.
Submit a 4-page paper that analyzes the implementation of the evidence-based practice in your field of practice to determine if you can expect similar results to the research. The paper should include the following:
· A description of the evidence-based practice that you selected including:
- The population for which the evidence-based practice is intended
- The problems for which the evidence-based practice is intended to address
- A summary of the evidence from the research articles that demonstrate the evidence-based practice’s effectiveness
· An explanation of any differences between the conditions of the study and the conditions on your practice. Explain the potential impact these differences could have on successful implementation.
· A description of the steps that would be required to implement the evidence-based practice including:
- Any factors that would support each step and how you would leverage them
- Any factors that would limit or hinder each step and how you would mitigate them
· A conclusion that includes:
- Anticipated results of the implementation in your practice setting
- An explanation of whether they will be similar or different from the research results from the articles
References (use 3 or more)
Resources for Evidence-Based Registries
Children’s Trust Fund. (n. d.). Evidence-based programs (EBPs) program. Retrieved from https://www.thechildrenstrust.org/research/provider-resources/29-tct/research/236-best-practices-and-evidence-based-programs
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2012). A road map to implementing evidence-based programs. Retrieved from http://web.archive.org/web/20151010063916/http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/Courses/Implementations/resources/imp_course.pdf
(For review) Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (n. d.). NREPP: SAMHSA’s national registry of evidence-based programs and practices. Retrieved October 8, 2013, from www.nrepp.samhsa.gov
Journal: Leadership and Management—A Personal Perspective
Last week, you began exploring the similarities and differences of leadership and management roles and the contributions these roles make to an organization’s functioning. Social workers need to be aware of these similarities and differences in order to determine which management or leadership skills are most appropriate in a given position or situation.
This week, you have focused on the influence of external factors on an organization’s functioning with a special focus on their impact on the leadership of social workers in supervisory roles.
As you have explored leadership and management roles, skills, and behaviors, you may have become aware of how these align, or do not align, with your personal skills, strengths, and interests. You may also have begun to consider how external factors might influence you if you were to assume a leadership or management role in social work.
For this Assignment, you assess your strengths and areas for growth in order to determine what aspects of leadership and management are a good “fit” with your personality, leadership style, and relevant skills. You also address how external factors might influence you as you serve in a leadership or management role.
Assignment (4–5 paragraphs): Complete the following:
· Assess your strengths and areas for growth with regard to both the leadership and management roles based on what you understand about these roles so far. Be sure to address whether your skills and interests align better with the leadership or management role.
· Identify at least one area of growth in either of these roles you would like to further develop, and explain why.
· Identify two significant external factors that might influence your work if you served in a leadership or management role in social work. Explain why these external factors are significant and how they might affect your work as a leader or manager.
References (use 3 or more)
· Northouse, P. G. (2018). Introduction to leadership: Concepts and practice (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Sage.
- Chapter 1, “Understanding Leadership” (pp. 1–18)
- Chapter 2, “Recognizing Your Traits” (pp. 21–44)
- Chapter 6, “Developing Leadership Skills” (pp. 117-138)